Based in Montreal, Canada
DescriptionFRACT is a musical exploration game. You arrive in a forgotten place and explore the vast and unfamiliar landscape to discover the secrets of an abandoned world that was once built on sound. As you start to make sense of this strange new environment, you work to rebuild its machinery by solving puzzles and bring the world back to life by shaping sound and creating music within the game. FRACT features a beautiful open world to explore and decipher with music-based puzzles, stunning visuals, and an amazing score that evolves as you play. As you progress through the game, you unlock tools to make your own music in the FRACT studio, where you can also export and share your creations with others.
HistoryFRACT was originally developed by one person, Richard E Flanagan, as a student prototype while studying game design at the University of Montreal. He continued working on it while looking for a job in the games industry, and submitted it on a whim to the Independent Games Festival. Much to his surprise, it was chosen to be part of the Student Showcase and went on to win the IGF Award for Best Student Game in 2011. He decided that he wanted to develop FRACT into a commercial release, so brought his wife Quynh Nguyen on board to make it happen, along with their programmer Henk Boom. The team was also fortunate enough to get support later in development from Indie Fund, which has helped them get to the finish line.
- Explore and decipher a beautiful open world that is inspired by and acts as a giant synthesizer.
- Make music and shape sound as you progress through the game.
- Save, export and share your musical creations with others.
- Experience stunning TRON-inspired visuals.
- Enjoy a unique, evolving score composed by Mogi Grumbles and you.
What is FRACT? YouTube
Bass: Geolayer [ _ ] of [ Δ ] YouTube
Pad: Geolayer [ Ʌ ] of [ Δ ] YouTube
Lead: Geolayer [ Δ ] of [ Δ ] YouTube
Announcing Mogi Grumbles YouTube
Moment Layer [ _ ] of [ ^ ] YouTube
Moment Layer [ ^ ] of [ ^ ] YouTube
Teaser 2 YouTube
Teaser 1 YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Winner for Best Student Game, Independent Games Festival" 2011
- "Winner for Emerging Talent, Canadian Game Development Talent Awards" 2011
- "Finalist, Fantastic Arcade Indie Showcase" 2011
- "Honourable Mention for Excellence in Audio, Independent Games Festival" 2013
- "Honourable Mention, Propeller Awards" 2011
- "A music/puzzle game that combines elements of Tron and Rez…[by] putting players inside a giant synthesizer."
- Kirk Hamilton, Kotaku
- "FRACT is a first-person puzzle game with that looks like a cross between Darwinia and a Daft Punk video…it looks stunning and the world responds in ways that makes solving those puzzles extremely rewarding."
- Graham Smith, PC Gamer
- "Other games don’t Have synthesizers because FRACT OSC took ’em all."
- Patrick Klepek, Giant Bomb
- "FRACT is looking like a game that is even more adapt at skirting the norm, throwing you into a world that is utterly abstract, but aggressively beautiful."
- Phill Cameron, Eurogamer
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
About Phosfiend Systems
We're the small Montreal-based indie studio making the music exploration game FRACT.
More information on Phosfiend Systems, our logo & relevant media are available here.
"FRACT OSC" Credits
Richard E Flanagan
Production / Design
Alex Taam, aka Mogi Grumbles